Thursday, February 7, 2013

Gray Fox

Do you like Urocyon cinereoargenteus? The are also known as Gray foxes. Gray foxes live to be about 5-10 years. They are omnivores. They eat small mammals, carrion,fish,insects,nuts and fruit.They have about 1-7 kits once a year in April and May. They live in forest,river valleys and rocky outcrops.  They are gray and have rusty red shoulders and chest.They have  a white chin,neck and belly.Gray foxes are mostly nocturnal. Urocyon is Greek for tailed dog. Cinereoargenteus is Latin for gray and black. I saw a Gray fox the other day and it was awesome! It wanted to eat my chickens. It would of, but my Husky/German Shepard dog chased it away. I have binoculars and they work great! I saw it run away. They are uncommon to see where I live! So I probably won't see any soon. I wish I had some pictures, but the camera was upstairs.  Here is a link that will show you pictures and that will tell you more about them. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray_fox

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that's exciting you saw a gray fox, usually we only see the red ones.
    Being nocturnal, you shouldn't often see them out during the day. Foxes can carry rabies so it's important that all dogs and cats are up to date on rabies shots.
    I'm glad the fox didn't get to eat your chickens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The red ones are called Red Foxes. The other reason I won't see them is because they are just uncommon to see here. Wolverines,Cougars and American Bison are all rare to see in Michigan.

    ReplyDelete