Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Lady Bug!

Ever heard of a Coccinellidae? More commonly known as a Lady Bug. They are the little red/orange beetles that usually have black spots on their backs. They have black legs, antennae, and heads. The Lady bugs are very useful. They eat pests in your house and garden such as aphids, flies, even dead lady bugs. Did you know that they some times bite people? You will sometimes feel the quick pinch, although they don't bite hard enough to break the skin. There are many different species of Coccinellidae, but I am writing about the Coccinella Septempunctata. Lady Bugs are also called Lady Birds, even though they aren't bugs or birds! Want to learn more about the different species of Coccinellidae? Click THIS link.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know that lady bugs bite people sometimes. I thought they only eat other bugs.
    They also are supposed to bring good luck.
    I like lady bugs, I've bought them to let loose in the rose bushes.

    ReplyDelete